We all know of the Battle of the Somme, which started on 1st July 1916. The British suffered over 57000 casualties on the first day and there were around a million casualties in total on both sides. What is less well known is the Battle of Boar’s Head.
Kitchener wanted a distraction to the Somme offensive so that the Germans might be taken off their guard; so he launched an attack further up the Western Front on 30th June to try to divert the enemy.
At 3.05pm on 30th June 1916 men of the 11th, 12th and 13th Southdowns Battalions of the Royal Sussex Regiment went over the top in the Battle of Ferme du Bois near Richebourg, also known as the Battle of Boar’s Head. Brothers John (of the 12th battalion) and Harold (of the 13th battalion) were both killed on 30th June in that offensive. They are commemorated on the War Memorial in St Nicholas’ Church, Worth.