Have you heard about St Barnabas’ exciting project?
We have a plan to improve the usability of our Church buildings for a wider range of users. This involves lifting/lowering areas of flooring to allow level access between major sections of the building. We also wish to improve accessibility from the exterior to the interior of the building with a new entrance porch and we intend to refurbish the Pastoral Centre.
We are delighted that we have received a legacy of £55,000 towards the work plus a £10,000 donation from a parishioner.
Thanks also to those grant-making bodies who are supporting us:
- The Big Lottery Community Fund £10,000
- Garfield Weston Foundation £10,000
- The Co-op Charities £6,300
- Bernard Sunley Foundation £5,000
- The Gatwick Foundation Fund/Sussex Community Foundation £5,000
- Allchurches Trust £3,000
- Beatrice Laing Family Trust £2,500
- Gatwick Airport Community Trust £2,500
Our project will cost £215,000 so we still need lots more funding. Can you help? You can donate using our bank details which are: Worth PCC, Sort Code: 40-18-22 Account Number: 61223372. Please use the reference: “St B project”.
What could be nicer than a summer’s afternoon tea followed by a stroll round the grounds of our ancient church, the 11th oldest in the country? Well, the bellringers at St Nicholas’ invite you to join us as they provide a delicious spread of homemade sandwiches, scones with jam and cream, a selection of cakes and tea, coffee and soft drinks. Special diets can be catered for on prior request and all profits go directly to parish funds for things such as the cost of repairing the roof of our beautiful Saxon church.
Tickets are £10 in advance and only 80 covers can be taken, so get them now, either from the churchwardens or from EventBrite here.
Save the date of Sunday October 21 2018 !
We are delighted to announce that Chichester Cathedral Choir will be visiting St Nicholas’ Worth, to sing Choral Evensong at 4pm. Refreshments afterwards.
Full details of music will be announced in due course.
Wonderful News ! It was announced in both churches on Sunday 28 May 2017 that The Reverend Michael Boag, currently of the Parish of Upper Coquetdale, Northumberland will be joining us as Rector.
Michael, who originally hails from New Zealand, is currently Rector of Upper Coquetdale (near Newcastle) a parish of six flourishing churches in three districts covering 180 square miles of remote rural Northumberland.
Leading a team of three clergy, he is governor of two church schools, trustee of two local charities, and chair of the local neighbourhood planning development group. He is chair of the local Royal British Legion and Police Force.
Michael has a choral background as Succentor at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, organising singers, organists, and the Royal Household and ensuring that traditional Anglican liturgy was offered to the very highest standards.
The churchwardens are happy he is right for Worth Parish and are really delighted that he accepted. We welcome Fr Michael to our Parish and look forward to his Ministry.
Please join us at his licensing by Martin, Bishop of Chichester, on Monday 2nd October 2017 at 19.30 at St Nicholas’ Church, Worth, RH10 7RT.
This September, there are lots of opportunities for you to exercise your voice with us with varying levels of commitment.
- You could simply turn up at 11am on Saturday September 19th and enjoy being part of a choir for the day at our “Come and Sing Musicals” workshop and informal concert.
- You might want to become part of the Worth Festival Choir, a choir that only forms for 2 events a year. Our rehearsals start this Sunday 6th September, 2-4pm and continue each Sunday at this time until November 1st, when we will be performing extracts from Mozart’s Requiem as part of an All Souls Memorial Service. We’d be delighted to have you !
- Finally, you, or someone you know, might want to join Worth Choir. Currently, this choir is a mixed group of fifteen singers who work hard to maintain the remarkable choral tradition which St Nicholas’ has supported since the 15th century. No specific musical experience is required to join the choir. More important is the enthusiasm and willingness to commit and to learn. To see what sort of things we sing, you can view our September music list here. To find out more, email email@example.com
Here are some more pictures of this year’s fete. Thanks for coming ! See you next year.
Thank you to all those who have bought advanced tickets for our concert tomorrow night at St Nicholas’ Church, Worth, thus helping us work out the amounts for catering and drinks.
Feel free to still come along on the night though, as there will be something for everyone (musically and culinary !). Adult tickets are £8 including canapés and Pimms, children can come free (sweets and juice provided). You can phone 07044 326819
Here is the Music for a Summer’s Evening Programme so you can see in advance what is being performed and print it for yourself (although copies are available free of charge on the door).